Big Breakfast Butty Challenge: Professional Chef Category
Liz Hughes: Our Lizzy’s Special Smoked Tofu Sandwich
1 block of smoked tofu
2 handfuls of spinach*
6 sun dried tomatoes
salt and black pepper to taste
2tbsp olive/rapeseed oil
1 clove garlic crushed
quarter tsp English mustard
1 tbsp cider vinegar
2 tbsp extra virgin rapeseed oil
salt and freshly ground pepper
To make the dressing:
1. Combine the garlic, mustard and salt. Add cider vinegar, mix well. Add the oil and black pepper, whisk well.
2. Rinse and drain the tofu, and pat dry with kitchen towels. Place on a board and cut horizontally to make four thin slices. Brush with oil.
3. Place a griddle pan or frying pan on a high heat on the hob. When it is hot, add the tofu slices and cook until brown on one side. Turn over and cook the other side until brown.
4. Place the slices of bread on a board and drizzle with the dressing.
5. Put the spinach leaves on three of the slices of bread. Put two sun dried tomatoes on each slice of bread.
6. Remove the smoked tofu from the pan and place on top of the leaves and sun dried tomatoes.
7. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and place the other slice of bread on top to make the sandwiches.
8. Cut in half to serve.
*Wild garlic leaves make an interesting addition to this sandwich when in season.