A brilliant breakfast recipe for a domestic god/dess!
- Preparation time 20 minutes
1 medium courgette, grated (approx. 100g)
225g plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
225g wholemeal flour
350ml soya milk, plus a little extra (for brushing)
100g vegan ‘cheese’, grated
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- Sprinkle a little salt onto the courgette and leave for 15 minutes. Then rinse the courgette and place in a clean tea towel, pressing out as much water as you can.
- Sieve the plain flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and wholemeal flour into large bowl.
- Make a well in the flour and add the milk, courgette and half the vegan ‘cheese’. Gently mix to a dough.
- Lightly dust your work surface with a little flour. Press the dough to a thickness of 4cm and season with black pepper.
- Cut out twelve scones. Alternatively, use your hands to shape twelve scones.
- Brush the top of the scones with a little soya milk and add the remaining vegan ‘cheese’.
- Cover a baking tray with parchment paper and a light dusting of flour. Place the scones on the tray and bake for 12 minutes at 220C. These scones taste best eaten straight from the oven. Serve with a spread of your choice.
© The Vegetarian Society 2012